Versa Backerâ„¢ is a new generation of high performance backer board that performs like traditional cement backer board but only weighs a fraction of the weight. Reduced weight simplifies delivery and handling.
Versa Backer is available in 6mm and 12mm thickness to suit a variety of applications and the flexibility to bond Stone, Tile, Slate, Marble or Thin Brick Veneer.
Versa Backer 6 is designed for: floors, and tiled work surfaces.
Versa Backer 12 is designed for: walls, ceilings, counter tops and tiled work surfaces.
Versa Backer Minimum Board Size Recommendations:
300mm wide, covering a minimum of 3 studs or 900mm length.
51mm wide by 300mm length.
|Weight||1.5 k per m2||1.5 k per m2|
|Thickness||+ / - 0.8mm||+ / - 0.8mm|
|Sheet size||+ / - 3mm||+ / - 3mm|
|Flexural Strength||21kg /cm2||21kg /cm2|
|With moisture change||0.07%||0.07%|
|Tensile board to surface||3.5kg /cm2||3.5kg /cm2|
|Bacteria & Fungus resistance||No Growth||No Growth|
|Standard size 1200 x 1200mm, other sizes on request.|
Working with Versa Backer
Versa Backer can be trimmed and cut using a single blade utility knife, straight cutting and circular cut outs are easy and quick. Should power equipment be used in the cutting, drilling or shaping of the product, this should be done outside in a well ventilated area or by using mechanical dust extraction.
It is also recommended to use appropriate safety glasses and dust mask to avoid breathing in created dust which could prove harmful to respiratory system.
- Ensure floor does not deflect more than L/360 then make sure that any loose or damaged parts of the sub floor are removed. Clean off the floor area with a brush or industrial vacuum so that adhesion of the board to the adhesive bed will be strong. At this point, any gaps or joints in the sub floor should be sealed and taped over.
- Using a 6mm square notched trowel, apply a setting bed of polymer modified flooring adhesive to the sub floor, then immediately lay the Versa Backerâ„¢6 to the floor ensuring that a 3-5mm gap is left at all board joints with a minimum 3mm gap at the perimeter of the floor being laid.
- Sheets should be laid in a brick pattern ensuring that joints of the Versa Backerâ„¢6 do not coincide with any joints of the sub floor.
- While the tile adhesive compound is still workable, fasten the Versa Backerâ„¢6 at 150mm centres throughout the board field and around the edges, making sure that the edge fixings are 15mm in from the edges of the board around the perimeter and in the board plane.
- For fixing the Versa Backerâ„¢6 use 38mm galvanised roofing nails or 32mm long galvanised self drilling countersunk screws.
- Joints should then be reinforced by filling with adhesive and then embedding the 50mm mesh tape and smooth over.
- A thin set polymer modified mortar should be used for bonding of tiles to Versa Backerâ„¢ 6.
- Joints between any adjacent walls should be filled with high performance silicone mastic that will give a watertight seal.
- A strong dry wood surface such as plywood is recommended as the substrate and there should be minimum variation in the surface, a maximum deviation of 3mm over 3000mm is advised.
- Apply a 4mm polyethylene barrier between the plywood and the Versa Backer.
- Fix the Versa Backer using 19mm galvanised screws/roofing nails for Versa Backer 6 and 32mm galvanised screws/roofing nails for Versa Backer 12 at every 150mm throughout the surface of the board 15mm in from the edge.
- Fill all joints between panels with a thin set polymer modified adhesive, taping of joints is not required.
- All joints between tiled surface and walls etc. should be filled with a suitable flexible sealant.
- Ensure product support framing is set square with support at a maximum of 400mm, all edges of Versa Backer 12 should be continuously supported. Surfaces exceeding 7 sq mtrs in a continuous plane or surfaces that join a dissimilar structure should feature a 6mm control joint. The code of practise for the design and installation of ceramic tile should be followed in all instances.
- Fixing to timber studs can be by using 32mm long galvanised countersunk screws that are self drilling screw, or 38mm galvanised wide head nails at a maximum of 100mm. For fixing to steel stud then 32mm long screws should only be used. Fixing centres should be at a maximum of 200mm centres around a perimeter and in panel plane, fixings should be 15mm to 20mm in from the edge of the board and 50mm in from each corner with a 3-5mm joint being left on all board edges. Screw or nail heads must be flush with Versa Backer surfaces. Screws or nail heads should not completely puncture through the Versa Backer surface into the foam core.
- For jointing of a panel, first wipe down boards to remove site dust, then apply polymer modified thin set tile adhesive to joint area and then bed in a 50mm wide polymer coated alkali resistant mesh tape. An additional layer can also be applied to assist in feathering out the joint.
- A thin set polymer modified mortar should be used for bonding of tiles to Versa Backer 12.
- Joints between floors and any adjacent walls should be filled with high performance silicone mastic that will give a watertight seal.
- Versa Backer should not be used as a structural loadbearing panel and although it is not affected by water and damp conditions, it is not to be considered a water barrier. Where Versa Backer is used in areas of high water volume such as showers and wet rooms, then a waterproof membrane should always be used behind the Versa Backer board to assist in the prevention of water ingress.
Manufactured from closed cell PIR foam with a reinforced calcium carbonate exterior surface to both faces.
You can have confidence that our range of building boards are manufactured to a high standard to meet and exceed todayâ€™s demanding regulations and standards.